Sunday, January 25, 2009

Theme Party Photography

I was looking forward to the weekend in going out with friends, and wherever I go, I try to at least have my compact camera with me. On Friday night I went down to DC to celebrate a friend's birthday. My friends and I were to meet up at the Cork Wine Bar off 14th street. The place was small and we had a large gathering of about 20 people waiting outside for the birthday guy to show up. With all the people in our group, we actually decided to split up and eat dinner at a few different places. Crossing a street I saw this interesting crosswalk unlike the normal striped one. A few of us went around the corner and saw several nice restaurants. Four of us went to Axis Bar & Grill. I had never been there, and it was nice, having an open feeling to it. We sat up in the balcony and enjoyed the food and atmosphere. After dinner we went to a restaurant called Marvin, a classic bistro and bar which was named after Marvin Gaye. It was a cool place and they had a deck upstairs and out back with space heaters. On the outside wall of the restaurant, they had some murals on the wall and one of them especially caught people's eyes...Shepard Fairey's iconic poster of Barack Obama.

On Saturday I stayed in all day to catch up on life, but then went out to a theme party called Mai Thai. With the Mai Thai drinks, dress ties, pink and black colors, and people dressed up, this was a party to remember. The photos taken throughout the night contribute to the memorability of this night. This party had a 120 yes responses to the invite and 35 maybes, so we expected it to be packed in the community room that was reserved for this event. The party was stylish and people had fun socializing and dancing. Planning ahead and attention to detail pays off. There was also a dress tie tying contest and a limbo contest (which I won). I thought it was a good party and classy one at that. The party also supported a good cause: The Children's Law Center has lawyers from all over DC doing pro bono legal work for at-risk kids and their families in DC. I enjoy theme parties, but I also enjoy being a part of parties for a good cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment