Sunday, January 4, 2009

Knowing Photography > Doing Photography

I'm looking forward to The Versatile Travel Photographer Seminar at the National Geographic Society in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, January 11. National Geographic Traveler photographers Ralph Lee Hopkins and Bob Krist will be presenting. Last year I attended a seminar by Jim Richardson and Catherine Karnow at the National Geographic headquarters in DC. I came away with some tips and inspiration to continue photography with passion.

On Tuesday January 13, I'm going to attend a lecture called "Do It Once, Do It Right" by Steve Uzzell. Last year, I went to a lecture that Steve presented in Old Town Alexandria on the last day of FotoWeek DC. I was greatly impressed and inspired by his approach to photography and his work.

I've enjoyed going to various seminars, lectures, and gatherings surrounding the topic of photography, but I'm also reminded of the need to just get out and take photos. It's good to have a vision in mind and explore the world. I want to experiment and see things from new perspectives. It's good to be part of a community of photography enthusiasts who can help you learn and grow as a photographer. The interaction, sharing, and encouragement are helpful. To me, photography is more than just about a photo telling a story, but it's also about relationships. I want to continually be reminded to not just see, but really see a situation for what it is and capture it. I also believe that a photo is more than just about it's technical quality, but it's also about emotion and heart. The definition of photography being that of drawing or writing with light is fascinating, and so I'm going to be learning a lot more about light this year and how to use it to try and make beautiful photos. Shine on.

No comments:

Post a Comment