Saturday, January 3, 2009

Exercising Photography

It's only the third day of the new year and time is just flying by like last year. I'm not necessarily making resolutions this year, but I do want to continue learning more about photography and doing it. That's why I've invested a lot into it and I've also been able to share the joy of photography with others by taking people on what I call "Photo Jaunts." We did a photo jaunt in December to see the Richard Avedon exhibit Portraits of Power at the Corcoran in DC, and then went to see and photograph people ice skating in the outdoor rink of the Sculpture Garden.


Although I have a couple Canon cameras, I currently use Nikon DSLR's. I like and respect both of those brands, but for the DSLR's I prefer using Nikon. There are many factors for choosing a DSLR camera, but when it all came down to it, I went with Nikon as my personal choice.

I picked up this new DVD on New Years Day at the camera store called "Nikon School - A Hands-on Guide to Creative Lighting." It features pro photographers Bob Krist and Joe McNally and they break down the techniques for making light work for you and using Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS).

I went biking with a friend this morning even though it was only about 40 degrees outside. With the new year upon us, it sounded good to get back into exercise. It'll take some sacrifice, but it's worth it, especially if it's consistent exercise and healthy eating. I think it's important for photographers to maintain a healthy lifestyle which includes both physical and mental aspects. It's amazing what you can see when you're not going so fast (i.e. driving). I'm able to observe more things and see more details, and I feel more a part of the environment. Something about exercise helps to both clear my mind and get creative thoughts and ideas flowing. An appreciation for what we've been given is important too, and may we use what we have to the best of our ability. I hope you'll add physical exercise to your weekly regimen. After all, I don't want to sit behind a computer all day and night. I want to get out there and explore life!


This afternoon a talented photographer friend held an informal lesson on the basics of photography to help a lady who is traveling abroad soon. This lady just got a Nikon D90 to be able to document her travels with both photography and video. He invited me and a few others. After seeing his email, I called him about it and I emailed about 15 or so photographer enthusiasts, some of whom who just got their DSLRs. No matter what the skill level, it's important to go over the basics and the seasoned photographers can also contribute to instructing. It benefits everyone. We had twelve people present and we took close to three hours in going over photography basics. It was a good experience and we hope to have more lessons in the future.


Later in the evening I went to a birthday party and took some photos there with my compact camera. It was an enjoyable time of food, drinks, conversations and games. One of the best moments was in presenting the cake with the lit candle, the singing and the expressions in blowing the candle out. It's a reminder of the gift of relationships we've been given and wishing one another good things in life.


1 comment:

  1. V. thanks for coming, and forwarding my invitation on to other folks. Like that photo of me. Is that egotistic to say that? :) I don't get to many photos of me. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete