Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Moxie Christmas & Happy Hip New Year

December 24: It's been an amazing year full of opportunities and milestone events. For this blog entry I wanted to reflect upon this year and some of things that happened by showing some photographs. There are so many pictures that have been taken and I am just showing one from each month of this year that has been especially significant and indicative of my desire to capture life. I am grateful for the opportunities, for the experiences, and for the people I've met. It has been a sacrifice, but it has also been an investment in life.

January 20 - Barak Obama's Inauguration as the 44th President of the United States and first African American to hold the office. Obama was sworn in at the U.S. Capitol, but I couldn't get that close, so this is a photo to just show the masses of people that came out to DC to be a part of history.
February 8 - Washington Auto Show at the Washington Convention Center. This is a picture of a child and Rock-It, a nine foot robot with an array of lights and sound effects.

March 14 - A friend invited a group of us to go and see her sister perform in "A Chorus Line" at The National Theatre in Washington D.C. It was a great show and we had the privilege of going backstage and getting a personal tour.

April 26 - I was at dinner with a bunch of friends at an On The Border restaurant. The lighting was warm and beautiful in this area . This framed picture of a door just speaks to me of opportunities and my choices of which "door" to open and walk through.

May 25 - The Outer Banks (OBX). I enjoyed a trip to the beach with friends. It's easy to go to the beach, bask in it's warmth, feel the sand on your feet and just stare out at the ocean. It's as if the ocean is a mirror of sorts making you to reflect on life and yet look toward the future with hope.
June 27 - It was the grand reopening of Eastern Market building in Washington D.C. was on Friday the 26th and I went to see it the day after. The travesty of a fire in April 2007 heavily damaged this building and the livelihood of vendors and the community were severely affected. This was a landmark building and this day marked the reopening of it, reviving the pride of this market in the community.


July 14 - I was able to photograph the Washington Kastles vs Philadelphia Freedoms tennis game court side. It was phenomenal seeing the athleticism of Venus Williams up close.

August 20 - I was commissioned to photograph the DC/U2 cover band in Ashburn, VA. There was an intermission in the set, so before the second half of the concert started, I went behind the band up on a hill and took this shot as the band started playing and as the sun was setting.

September 26 - Having worked with the GI Film Festival (GIFF) before, as I was asked by the founders of GIFF to cover GIFF LA for their first road show. Actor and musician Gary Sinise was the host of this event that features films that show the world a deeper look into the lives of soldiers, families, and the military campaigns of our country.

October 27 - After the PDN PhotoPlus conference in NYC, I attended the OneLight workshop by Zack Arias and his UsedFilm Studios crew. It was a great experience in learning how to use light for impact in photography and it inspired creativity. I also have a OneLight shirt that says "People are happier when they're lit."

November 11 - I went on my first official cruise from Miami to Key West and Cozumel. This photograph was taken on Paradise Beach in Cozumel as the sun was setting.

December 8 - At The Scene Bisnow Holiday party at Public Bar in Washington D.C., I saw these snowflake decorations hanging from this lamp over a table. Nice.

So I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. It's more than about the decorations, food, drinks and gifts, and so much more about relationships.

This was the first photograph of my blog for 2009. It was taken on New Year's Eve at a party and several people were wagging their light sticks while dancing. May you have a fun and festive New Year's Eve and New Year full of opportunities along your journey through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment