Monday, November 2, 2009

Brian & Kim's Wedding and a Fiery Sunset

October 10 - Remington, VA: When I met with Brian, Kim and Kim's mother to talk about the upcoming wedding for Brian & Kim, I knew that we were in for a fun wedding day. Our lunch was an enjoyable way for us to get to know each other better and plan for the couple's wedding. I think we all left the meeting feeling good about this arrangement.

I had the pleasure of photographing an engagement photo outing in Old Town Alexandria for Brian & Kim at the end of August. They had come to know the kind of photos that I was going to photograph and I was looking forward to the wedding at the area around the historic place called "The Inn at Kelly's Ford." I was pleased to find that this location had plenty of space and the wedding was going to be kept outside as the weather cooperated. It was a large open area where the wedding took place and the guests were seated a good distance from where the couple stood for the ceremony. Although a couple video cameras were running I knew I needed to get closer to the couple since the longest range on my lens was 200mm, so effectively it's the equivalent of a 300mm distance. I had to use the foliage in the background to move around discreetly and so did the video camera operator, yet I was able to get in really close. I try to be "invisible," quiet, and unobtrusive when I photograph weddings, so this was an added challenge. I had to do what it took to get the shot.

The wedding went well and it was so beautiful with setting and environment. The carriage that transported the couple made the wedding seem all the more majestic. I had some time with the couple to photograph just them together and they were very patient with my desire for "just one more picture." The reception continued and when I had a break I headed toward my car and then noticed a fiery red sunset sky and had to get a picture of it with the couple. I rushed in and urged the couple to come outside and so they got to experience one of the most amazing sunsets ever. The celebration was in full force on the dance floor and I was roving around with my camera, flash and small video light capturing all the fun. As the night came to a close I remembered that the bride wanted me to take a picture of some artwork on the ceiling. I had the couple go under the artwork and kiss while I was on my back taking the picture that I feel encapsulates the wedding and what's it's all about...it's for love.

5 comments:

  1. Ha! Those are great, V! Thanks, man! Can't wait to see em all! The best day of my life. :)
    ~The Groom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vithaya! You're amazing! Thanks for pulling us to go get those setset shots! Can't wait to see the rest!
    -Kim (The Bride)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!~!! Great work, Mr. Photog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing your work on the engagement photos, we were eagerly awaiting the wedding shots!
    What a wonderful day!

    Sue, Mother of the Groom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful! I enjoyed every minute, and from what I see here, I would guess you have captured all the best of that precious day. Can't wait to see the rest!

    Lynnie, Mother of the Bride

    ReplyDelete