Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Birthday in Georgetown DC

On Friday 5/29, I went to Georgetown DC to celebrate a friend's birthday, and about 23 friends came out to Chadwicks near the Georgetown Waterfront. It was a nice environment in sitting upstairs and being able to look out the windows to see the Georgetown waterfront. After a lengthy dinner, most of us walked down to the waterfront to hang out at Nick's Riverside Grille. I took some pictures before I met up with the others at Chadwicks and also took pictures throughout the night with my compact camera (Canon SD1000). I think good results can come from even these little cameras. I notice that a lot of people just leave their camera on auto and snap away taking pictures, and usually the pictures come out with that harsh lighting from the automatic flash. For night scenes, I often use the night snapshot setting, and I have to keep very still when using this setting or else it'll blur the shot, which can also be a creative shot. Play around with the exposure compensation to get the perfect exposure for the amount of ambient light present and your distance to your subject. In the last photo I posted below, the lamps behind the ladies created a nice hair light, while the flash on my camera lit (with negative exposure compensation) them from the front. I think the pictures worked out well for a compact camera night.

No comments:

Post a Comment