Sunday, June 14, 2009

Biking Across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge

With the reconstruction of the Woodrow Wilson bridge, people going to both VA and MD have easier access to one another across the Potomac River. A new city called National Harbor (NHBR) was built just across the bridge and just inside MD. NHBR is a mixed-use waterfront development for work, play, dining, and discovering. It's motto is "Celebrate Freedom." NHBR is the site of the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center and the future site of a new Disney resort hotel.

The Woodrow Wilson Bridge trail opened to the public on June 6 and many people had gone across it, enjoying the ability to travel across the bridge by foot, roller blades, or by bicycle.

On June 13, just one week after the trail opening, I went with some fellow bikers on a bike ride from Shirlington to Old Town, and then across the Woodrow Wilson bridge to National Harbor. It was a great ride and I was able to take pictures during the bike trip, and some even while biking! I think I'm getting better at it, and so far so good. Of course I'm careful when I take pictures while biking, and I don't put anyone in danger. I'm just taking a slight personal risk to hopefully get some good shots. Hey, it's all worth it. :-) Celebrate Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment