Monday, September 7, 2009

Inspired by Army Strong

As a veteran of the U.S. Army, the term once a soldier, always a soldier still speaks to me. There were a lot of great experiences and things learned during my tenure serving in the military.

Being in the Army (military) means you live up to a higher standard. It's something that becomes a part of us and how we live life. There are 7 core Army values: Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. It's not enough just to know the words, but to know what they mean, and to live them out day in and day out. I remember my time in VA Beach a couple weekends ago and the Army Strong tent they had set up there. That brought back so many memories of my time in the Army, and I'm often reminded of the men and women of our armed services and I'm thankful for their service and sacrifice. So life takes on greater meaning, as we consider others and it's too easy to take things for granted, especially freedom.

I'm inspired. I've talked about balance in life before, and instead of working more today, I knew I needed some time to exercise and spend time with others. I put on my Army Strong biking jersey that I got awhile ago and went biking with a couple other bikers and it felt great. It felt great to be outside enjoying the freedom to go just about anywhere. It had been awhile since I biked, but I felt strong and thought I biked well today. I'm sure my performance was enhanced by the Army Strong jersey I wore, but I'm also sure it was also because of the strength within me, inspired by experiences of living Army Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment