Friday, September 4, 2009

Hanging Out in Pawgaritaville

September 3 - Pawgaritaville: I heard about this Pawgaritaville event last week and the event title reminds me of the Jimmy Buffet song Margaritaville. What a catchy event title and theme, and it was a well decorated and attended event at Barkley Square Gourmet Dog Bakery & Boutique in the ecelctic and charming Del Ray community of Alexandria.

The Pawgaritaville event benefited Homeward Trails, a 501(c)3 organization which seeks to find permanent adoptive homes in the Mid-Atlantic Region for dogs and cats from high-kill shelters or whose owners can no longer care for them. The event was hosted by Andrea Rodgers of Ask Miss A, where she dispenses advice, recommendations and her views of everything from style to self-help. I noticed Andrea right away as I've seen her at various events around town and Kristina of Karing by Kristina was also present for the festivities.

I invited a friend to attend the event as she recently got one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen. There were so many people who came up to my friend to see her dog named Brady and ask her two questions: What kind of dog is it and how old is it? It's an 8 week old Pekingese Chiwawa, and it got a lot of attention. There were many other dogs there and some were even dressed up a bit. It was a casual event that included a Hawaiian Shirt Contest for Dogs and Humans; Door Prizes each hour; Dog and Cat Adoption with Homeward Trails; Complimentary Dog Treats, Complimentary Snacks, $4 Margaritas & Coronas and a Barkley Square Bakery sale on some items. I had my Hawaiian shirt on that I got while in Oahu last year and it turns out that I won the Hawaiian shirt contest! My prize is a Karing by Kristina Total Pet Care gift certificate. I gave the gift certificate to my friend for her young pup Brady.

It was a beautiful and relaxing evening and it was good and fun to be surrounded by such a diversity of pet dogs. Pets bring such a joy to our lives and many people consider them like family. Little dogs such as 8 week old Brady almost made me feel like I was taking care of an infant with regards to having to constantly look out for the dog, and there was such a connection with the dog. The dogs were friendly and it was good to have people and their pets come out for an evening of community and support of charity. Here are a few pictures and more pictures are on my website: http://vithaya.zenfolio.com/pawgaritaville


No comments:

Post a Comment