Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Picture Perfect Day - PUG - Friend's Birthday



August 15, 2011 - I thoroughly enjoyed being outside on such a gorgeous day, but had stopped inside of Tysons Corner Center to do just a little shopping and browsing. On my way out of the shopping center I took this picture with my iPhone. From where I was at, there was a street sign and traffic lights in the frame, but I took it anyway and rather liked how the picture turned out with those elements in it. The main focus was obviously the gorgeous clouds. It's amazing how fast summer is flying by, but I am also looking forward to Autumn.

In the evening I went to my photographer friend's house as the Pictage Users Group (PUG) in the area was having a highlight on Garrett Hubbard and his photography studio. Sarah Hodzic was the host of the PUG meeting and several photographers came out for the meeting. After a brief social with food and drink, Garrett and his wife Allison (business partner) shared about their photography studio. Garrett showed some of his favorite photos, mostly from this year and talked a little about how they capture a wedding day. Garrett also showed images from a wedding he recently photographed and where I was the second photographer/assistant. I was glad to help a brother out." Garrett's wife was also helping out at that wedding, and photographs were taken at The W Hotel and at the LongView Gallery in DC.




There was a mention about John Harrington's book "Best Business Practices for Photographers." The business side of photography is an important aspect that can seem "less important" than the photography side, but they go hand in hand. John Harrington was one of the speakers of a fairly recent NPPA Business Blitz seminar held at the USA Today building in McLean, VA.

After the studio highlight sharing time, each photographer told the group a bit about them and their photography and what works for them in getting noticed for their photography and a lot of it had to do with personality, networking and social media in addition to great images. It was an inspirational time and we're all looking forward to growing our businesses as photographers.

It was late in the evening, but I said I was going to attend a birthday celebration at Lincoln restaurant in DC, and I arrived in time to see the birthday girl with several of her friends. It was nice to have a couple cupcakes baked by love from one the friends of the birthday girl. There's something about cupcakes, even a single one, and there's something about a candle and it's flame. Light is beautiful and life is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment