Friday, August 5, 2011

Andy Zipf: Jealous Hands Tour - Arlington, VA

August 4th, 2011 - When Andy Zipf is set to perform at a venue, I try to be there and I've attended and photographed several of his shows, even one in an Apple store...yes, an Apple store (in a big shopping mall). When I heard about Andy performing at IOTA Club & Cafe in Arlington VA, I wanted to go, but I also had a lot (and still do) of work to catch up on. After a meetup with photographers earlier this evening, I went home, but then something drew me back out. It must have been the lingering echo of Andy's ethereal vocals and memories of his superb live performances that got me packing sufficient camera gear and then back on the road again to IOTA.

On the way to IOTA, I recalled how photographer Zack Arias enjoys Zipf's music after first hearing it on one of Andy's tours. Zack knows of the talent in Andy Zipf and how his words and music are pervasive and engaging. Knowing this, Zack requested Andy Zipf to come and perform along with Meghan Arias at Zack's OneLight Mixer on July 1st 2010 at BOSSA in Adams Morgan, which was the mixer before his OneLight Workshop in DC.

It was the Jealous Hands Release Show at IOTA and several other musicians also performed earlier in the evening there (Kirsten Thien, The Riverbreaks, Justin Trawick, and Bobbie Bare Jr). I arrived just before Andy and the band were to perform. I had my Nikon D7000 camera with a 35mm and 50mm lens and I know I didn't want to use any flash (and it wasn't allowed anyway).

The concert started and Andy and the band played a fantastic set of songs that I believe reached deeply into heart and soul. It's the nature of Andy's words and music to capture one's attention. A quote from Paste Magazine on Andy's website says "Jealous Hands shows off his capacity to produce one great hook after another." Check out more of Andy Zipf on his website and hopefully in a venue near you.

http://www.andyzipf.com/
















No comments:

Post a Comment