Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cherry Blossoms in the Tidal Basin on a 90 Degree Day

April 10, 2013 - It was a hot day and in fact it broke the record for the hottest day in April in DC. Normally in April, it's rainy and windy as I have observed in previous years of heading down to DC to view the Cherry Blossoms, yet last year wasn't too bad. The Cherry Blossoms in DC are a huge worldwide attraction and so many people visit DC during the season hoping to catch the blossoms in peak bloom. After a prediction and then having it pushed back, we can now see the Cherry Blossoms in peak bloom, yet not for long.  I expected the Tidal Basin to be very busy with people despite the hot weather. The Cherry Blossoms bloom once a year for a few weeks, so it's best to go and see them in bloom.

I went to the Tidal Basin in DC in between the Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial. In the midst of the blossoms in the Tidal Basin is the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. Since it was a hot day I wanted to wait till late afternoon to visit the blossoms, and maybe someday I'll wake up really early to see them. By the time I dressed and got my bike on my car, it was later than I expected to go into DC. I finally arrived around 6:30pm and walked around taking pictures till about 8pm. With the sunlight rapidly fading, it wasn't as nice in seeing the brightness and color of the blossoms as it would have been a bit earlier in the day. I hope to visit the blossoms again in peak bloom this year. Here are several pictures I took of the blossoms and such in the Tidal Basin. Enjoy the blossoms, enjoy Spring.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment