Saturday, October 1, 2011

Six Months of Full Time Photography, Life Reflection, and Credentials Nostalgia


Headshot taken of me years ago
when I was pursuing acting.


It's October 1st 2011 and it's like an anniversary of sorts. It's been six months since I've gone full time into photography, so that's something to celebrate but I also have to keep things moving with it. Like an anniversary or birthday there comes a deep reflection of life and it's moments. People will wish you a happy day and say congrats, and that's wonderful, but sometimes I think inside we feel a bit like there's got to be more to all this.

In growing up I recall my father and uncles who were into photography a bit, although I never was quite that interested at that time. I must have just been too busy having fun and thinking I would be a rock star someday. I did play guitar and tried to at least sing backup vocals. I was into role playing games, arcade games, and video games, yet I also enjoyed playing outside and was quite good at football in the neighborhood. I didn't have much cares and wasn't too disciplined or desirous of really taking steps to get into a career path. I would just let the chips fall where they may.

I've been into photography since High School as I remember taking a photography class. Then in college I took a couple more photography classes, but my major was varied for a little while dabbling in liberal arts, architecture, interior design, yet I finally settled on Electronic Graphic Design. My interest in photography seemed to wane a bit and my attempt to start courses in the New York Institute of Photography didn't go very far. Perhaps I didn't want to do the work and get critiqued. I hear that being critiqued is an essential part of growth. I would prefer genuine constructive criticism from someone who cares rather than someone who wants to rip my work apart. To use an old Army slogan, all this is to help you "be all you can be."

I'm reminded of my time in the U.S. Army where I was told that in basic training they tear you down to build you up again. I went in to the U.S. Army to serve my country and become a new man. They say that the Army is for some and not for others. When I entered the Army I walked into a new world. I started out as a private and didn't really have anything, but what they gave me. At the time I couldn't understand why the Drill Instructors seemed so harsh, yet just before my tenure in the Army was done I remember going into the Sports Club and talking with one of my Drill Instructors, and he talked with me like an old friend. It dawned on me that they did all this for my benefit, but I couldn't see that at the time of being "disciplined." It was for training. It was to make me into a soldier. That was their job and lives depended on it. I had some of the best years of my life as a soldier and they taught me values. I like to think that once a solder, always a soldier...as they say.

So as a photographer I enjoy life and capturing it. There was a span of several years after college where I wasn't so much into photography. I believe it's because I was involved in activities such as acting, dancing and sports that kept me focused on personal performance in addition to pursuing my career in graphic and web design. Eventually as I wanted to capture the fun times, I used disposable cameras, then used compact cameras, but it wasn't enough. People could see that I really enjoyed photography and wanted to improve. One year for my birthday amongst a group of friends I got a digital photography handbook and that added fuel to the fire. About four years ago I started using a DSLR camera and became more serious about photography as time went on. These past few years I've taken a more behind the camera role, but I still enjoy the occasional pastime interests.

In the past four years I've been able to attend and cover a lot of events and wonderful moments. It's been exciting to be able to go places and experience things. It's also been a lot of work and sacrifice, and it's not like in the Army where I was recognized and awarded for what I did. Being behind the camera I ensure that the event, it's cause and people are recognized and captured in camera, making images that last throughout the years. I feel a sense of contribution to humanity and history.

For some reason I've kept a lot of the badges, name tags and passes from events that I've covered, which you could call credentials nostalgia. It's a nice reminder like saving a ticket stub or postcard or anything that reminds you of an event. I suppose you could say I kind of think of these badges and name tags as sort of like medals and rewards. It's not something to be cocky about at all, as it's more of a sense of pride, like the pride of having served in the armed forces. Yes, that's what it's about...growth, appreciation, pride, purpose and passion. It's also all about love. With thanks to my Father.


No comments:

Post a Comment