Friday, July 10, 2009

World Team Tennis - Kastles vs Aces

Wednesday the 8th was the second home game night of the WTT season for the Washington Kastles and they were set to play the St Louis Aces. Anna Kournikova wasn't able to play because of a wrist injury, yet she participated in all the other activities for the team and her fans.

It was another gorgeous day and I arrived early to the stadium to get set for the press conference with Anna Kournikova. The press conference went rather quickly and then she went to a table to sign her autograph for fans, which was across from where the band Judo Chop played some 80's tunes. She had good smiles throughout the day, and I wonder why she was in such a good mood even though she wasn't playing. Hmmm, nice ring on her finger. It started getting more crowded as the start of the game neared, and I got set up in my position court side along with the other photographers.

It was another exciting night of tennis playing and I'm glad to have been able to cover the night with photography. There was mixed lighting within various areas of the court and I had to use Aperture priority of many of those daylight shots. When tennis started I switched to Manual mode and shot wide open at a high shutter speed. As the light faded and mixed in with the stadium lights, I had to raise my ISO to be able to get light enough shots. It was interesting to try and anticipate the player's actions to get good shots and freeze the action in them. I did what I could, and here are a selection of my photos from the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment