Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day - Celebrate Freedom!

I've lived in the DC area for many years and have gone to DC or very close to it to watch the fireworks. I spent the early afternoon of the 4th of July with some friends for get together in the courtyard of an apartment complex in Falls Church, VA. Food, friends, and fun is what it was about, and yet we can never forget the sacrifices and service made for all of us to give us the freedoms we enjoy today.

Having been in the U.S. Army, I understand what it means to serve my country. I also appreciate what the families of those in the service have done to support our country.

Our group of friends were going to be near the Iwo Jima memorial, and it turned out that were in the large grassy field of the Netherlands Carillon Bell Tower, which is next to Arlington National Cemetery. This is a popular place to view the fireworks which usually explode near the Washington and Lincoln monuments. I parked my car in Clarendon and biked to our group's viewing area. I try to bike into DC on days like this when I know it's going to be crowded. It's also fun and good for exercise. I had my camera gear in a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW backpack and strapped my Manfrotto tripod around my neck to let it rest on my back. It was a nice and easy ride in and out of the area, and I came away with some photos of this great day of celebrating freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment