Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY? NEW YEAR. NEW OUTLOOK.

Whenever January 1st comes around, the world is inundated with the "Happy New Year" wish. Of course we want everyone to have a Happy New Year, but after hearing that phrase so many times it makes me wonder if people are happy. I think it's an optimistic way of looking at the very real possibilities that the new year can make goals and dreams a reality, even if it takes longer than expected to materialize. I'm going to just have to take things one day at a time and face everything "head on." There are times when we may feel like giving up, but I've learned the importance of perseverance and I think the world has not seen enough of what everyone has to offer yet.

On New Year's Eve I woke up a bit later than usual and there was so much I wanted to accomplish in finishing out the year. I had this penchant for wanting to do laundry and clean up around my room and house. I was editing photos and wanted to also post a new picture of myself for the new year. You could say this was a way to put a face to what I was feeling at the time. My last self-portrait photo was for Christmas and it took on a more solemn tone because of all the losses in 2012. So I knew it was going to be a different kind of Christmas. I had my camera on a tripod and used the self-timer and a 35mm lens. I used one flash with a mini beauty dish light modifier and a window was my backdrop. It's not always easy being in front of the camera, even in taking self-portrait photos. I can understand how people are "their own worst critic" or can be harsh on themselves, or perhaps don't really know how to pose and express themselves for a photograph. It took me many takes to get a shot I felt would work well and I was more pleased after seeing the results after the editing. 

For the self-portrait shot I just used one medium-sized softbox and put it about three feet from me at a 45 degree angle and about two feet higher than my head. I had my camera on a tripod and self-timer of course. It was important to not have the softbox too high or low or at too severe an angle, as the one light needed to show myself in the right light so to speak. It was also about the right expression that I wanted to convey for a new year self-portrait. I wanted to look optimistic and positive. I was running out of time before I had to leave the house by 10pm to get to my destination in DC to celebrate ringing in the new year. I did a quick edit job and wanted the photo to have that timeless yet new look and feel to it. I like the way the image turned out, as I gave it a black & white quality to it with a twist of color toning to make it appear silvery and cool in temperature. I've posted my self-portrait picture for Christmas and for New Year's below and I'm just reminded of a song: Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There Is a Season). So whatever happens in life, I'm going to try to face it and persevere. 




No comments:

Post a Comment