Saturday, December 3, 2011

Miss DC USA 2012 Monique Thompkins - Photo Shoot and Interview

November 28, 2011 - I had the pleasure of photographing and interviewing Miss DC USA 2012 Monique Thompkins, the day after her pageant win.








Describe your Miss DC USA pageant experience?
It's nothing but positive. I met new people and made so many friends during the two days of competition. It all kind of went by so fast. During this competition, you meet others like yourself which is so refreshing. You also see what's unique about yourself. It's our nature to compare, but the things that are different about you are what makes you unique.

* How did you get the idea to do this pageant?
I used to watch pageants as a young girl, I was inspired, but never thought it was something I could do. I did a military local tour for the Marines for the Washington Redskins Cheerleaders (WRC). While on tour, the conversation came up about pageants. I was going to do it last year, but got scared. Cheerleaders from different teams on this local tour were talking and people encouraged me to participate. I wanted to prove to myself I could do this. You can do anything you want to do. You're never a failure unless you never try.

* You were born and raised in the DC area, so what do you think of Washington DC?
I absolutely love DC. After graduating from college in Philadelphia, it was suggested to me to move to LA to continue with dance, but everything in me just told me I had to come back home. When you live here for so long you take the beauty of this city for granted. Those four years away in college reminded me just how much DC meant to me.

* What are your favorite things to do?
My top 3:
Museums - I'm fortunate that DC has a lot of museums!
Movie buff - in theater or at home.
Traveling - I enjoy getting away and having some "me time."

* How did you get into Cheerleading?
I was a freshman at the University of the Arts. When I turned 18 I tried out for the Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleading Squad and was the youngest on the team at the time. During my senior year, I knew I wanted to be with the Redskins so in March I auditioned for their Cheerleading Squad and made the team in April. I wasn't going to graduate until May, so I was in Philadelphia during the day for classes and drove to DC for WRC practice two nights a week. Even with all that I graduated with a 3.8 that year. I was committed to the team. If you have something you want to do, just do it, no excuses.

* What are things you are thankful for or appreciate?
I have so much to be thankful for, where to begin? My health, a supportive family, amazing career, 40 women I cheer with that I can call true friends and extended family, wonderful friends. This list would go on for days. I appreciate thoughtfulness. It’s never about how big, expensive, grand or small and simple something is, but the thought that was put into it means everything to me. I never take anything for granted. I am truly blessed.

* Describe your time with Big Brothers, Big Sisters of America?
I was a mentor during junior year of college. The person I mentored went through four or five big sisters, and had a hard time opening up to people so I wanted the challenge. I met her at her school once or twice a week at her lunch period. She ended up seeing we had something in common and ended up opening up to me. That was the day I realized that mentoring was something that I was not only passionate about but sought to do. She really impacted my life.

* What is your lifestyle regimen for eating, drinking and exercising?
I am a junk food LOVER! And I love trying new foods; however, I am a pretty picky eater. My family loves to eat healthy. I wasn’t raised to eat beef or pork and I hear all the time I am missing out. I think my junk food obsession is my way of rebelling against my healthy side. Being a cheerleader provides a lot of physical activity. We practice twice a week for about 4 hours and game days for cheerleaders are 9 hours long (with morning practice, game day appearances and the game itself). Every now and then you can catch me in the gym doing strictly cardio or jogging around my neighborhood. I am always on the go!

* Who are your role models?
I have so many but I had a mentor at 13 named Janette Gillis and she was my FIRST role model. Mrs. Gillis was my middle school dance teacher. She was always poised, easy to talk to, and she was tough on you with a kind heart. She achieved so much and I wanted to be just like her. She impacted me so much that I attended Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Georgetown as well as the University of the Arts just like she did. She always believed in me, still does.

* Where do you see yourself in the future and what you'll be doing?
I'm never content with my life. I can't say where I'll be in a certain time of my life. I can get a goal in my head at the spur of the moment and that is my goal to achieve right then and there. Once that goal is accomplished I have another one. So my ultimate goal in life is to leave a positive mark on the places I go and the people I meet.

Photos and interview by Vithaya Photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment