Sunday, April 26, 2009

Summer Like Weekend

During the latter part of the week I was singing in my head "Everybody's Working for the Weekend." It's an 80's song by the band Loverboy. The weekend weather forecast was for sunny days in the high 80's and I was looking forward to the weekend and doing some athletics outdoors. I have spent a lot of time indoors in front of the computer screen, and the recent nice weather got me motivated for sports. I think it's important to have balance as a photographer.

I didn't take too many pictures this past weekend because I was so into athletics. This was actually a good thing for me because I have done so much with photography and not enough of other things with my time. I went road biking with a friend on Friday evening for a good distance at a good pace for us, as we were preparing for an upcoming intermediate road bike ride on the W&OD trail. I got back into playing one of my all time favorite sports...Volleyball! I'm a competitive player and I avoid jungle ball games. On Saturday I played Volleyball with several others for about three hours in the mid 80 degree heat on a sand court. Later on at a BBQ at a park I played an hour of Volleyball in a sand court. Sunday afternoon was nearing 90 degrees but I still went road biking with a couple others. I'm feeling a little tired, but I'm glad I was able to get back into athletics, which is the primary way I keep in shape.

So what does this have to do with photography? To me it's more than being a photographer, but it's about a lifestyle. It's important for me to be healthy, active and to continue growing. Maintaining a healthy and athletic life helps me to see things from a different perspective. The rush I get from athletics opens my mind up and allows me to think on a different level. I don't want to live a sedentary lifestyle, so I'm doing what I can to stay active. Now I just need to get more sleep at night.

Even with such an athletically active weekend, I did manage to take a few pictures here and there. The first picture is from the grand opening of McGinty's Public House (Irish pub) in Arlington, and I was able to take the photo from behind the bar. The second picture is from biking near DC with my iPhone, and I wanted to capture the beauty of the day. The third photo is from a dinner Sunday night at an On the Border restaurant, and I enjoyed the colorful environment there.






No comments:

Post a Comment