Sunday, October 5, 2014

Military Dogs Take The Hill

July 23, 2014 - I was booked to take some pictures of veterans and their dogs outside of the Capitol and was then told that I'd be covering an event in the Cannon building across the street. I was glad to be able to have an assignment of this nature as I'm a veteran and have a dog. This afternoon was about the reunification and retirement of military working dogs and it was put together by the American Humane Association.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I felt like I had to travel light considering I would be working in a Government environment and walking from outside to inside a building and going through security. I only brought what I could carry on myself, so I just had my DSLR camera a flash, a flash modifier, and a variety of lenses. It was a beautiful and bright day and thankfully we were in the shade most of the time, so that made the light less harsh on people. I used just enough flash on my speedlight to balance with the ambient light outside. While indoors taking pictures of people during a presentation I didn't use flash, but afterward I used flash to do some quick portrait work. Toward the end of the afternoon I got a pleasing look using windows as a backdrop as it allowed a lot of light to fill the background of the image.

Dogs make such an impact in the lives of veterans, and I'm glad to see that a difference was made here in the work of reunification and retirement of military working dogs. They deserve it. I came across this article in National Geographic called The Dogs of War and wanted to share it to shed more light on this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment