Friday, January 17, 2014

Old & New - Being All We Can Be - Enlisted Stars

There are lots of good goals and intentions for this new year, and it feels like it takes the first couple weeks to even a month for plans to start kicking in and for changes to take place. The middle of January is a memorable time for me as I'm reminded of the time of my initial start date with the U.S. Army as a 19D Cavalry Scout. It was a time where I wanted to start a new life, and in a sense, to tear down the old me, and bring about the new me. The Army identified the skills that we had and put them to use. In addition to training to be a soldier in basic training, I was assigned as the unit artist. I painted a mural at the top of the stairs in our barracks, in addition to other things. Throughout my time on active duty in Fort Knox, KY, I also took some pictures with a disposable camera. I've had an interest in photography for a few years, even taking a photography class in High School and some in College, but I wasn't too serious about it. Toward the end of my active duty tenure, I also spent some time in a graphics shop. All this would help me in my path as a photographer.

I wanted to share some photos of me in the Army and reinforce the importance of capturing key moments in life. I'm glad to have some kind of photographic record of experiences in my life. It shows the progression of life. An old slogan in the Army was "Be All You Can Be," and I liked it. I know we all want to be the best we can be in life and do the best we can in our profession. So may we start doing the things we need to be where we want to be. Sometimes I look back and wish I had tried harder or focused more. So my resolve is even more strengthened to pursue the passions in my life.

 On January 10th I was reminded about my time in the U.S. Army as an enlisted soldier as I was asked to photograph Geoff Stults and Parker Young, a couple stars from the new TV show called "Enlisted" for the GI Film Festival (GIFF). According to the website for the show, "ENLISTED is an irreverent and heartfelt single-camera comedy about three brothers on a small Florida Army post and the group of misfits who surround them." Geoff and Parker were being interviewed for GIFF. They were dressed well, even in their casual clothes, which had a military look and feel to them. It turns out that the show Enlisted premieres on FOX the evening of January 10, 2014.  


A couple of the things I have planned for this month is to redo my website and blog, and perhaps other things. I also plan to write an article about buying a DSLR, as many people want advice on how to go about getting one and which one to get. It's very exciting to imagine someone getting their first DSLR, but it can also be a daunting and overwhelming decision. I want to help others with photography as I've been helped in the past and in the present. All the best in your endeavors.


 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Sorry to comment on this great blog post, but I think your site is down and I need a wedding quote! If possible, please email me at natashawalshdc@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete